Weekend Inspiration Four ♡ SHOPPING AS INSPIRATION

Friday, September 02, 2016

Alright so, I have to ask, is it possible to be in love with a body suit? Because I'm pretty sure I'm in love with a body suit.



I see this gorgeous piece and I can't help but think of Dolce & Gabbana crowns, of rich luxe fabrics and gold leaf, and of a gorgeous girl lounging in a once-opulent Rococo room all in deep rich Autumnal jewel tones reminiscing of days long gone.

Now is this normal or am I crazy? I'm not sure.

I just love shopping as inspiration. Of course I love Fashion Week and new collections and looking ahead to the new season but there is something so inspiring about looking at current collections created for the season you're in and being inspired by the world (and weather!) around you.

Even if it's not exactly feasible for editorials shot months in advance, it's great for inspiring personal work and test shoots. If I'm feeling stuck I love to wander around the shops, from charity shops to high street to designer, and I'm always amazed at how inspiring it can be.

Not only do I find the current pieces inspiring, it's always worth rummage through the sale rails to see if you find some incredible bargain that outlives one season, that you can use in your shoots over and over again.

These always come in handy, just in case say, I want to shoot a test and can't get a hold of a stylist, or we don't want to just do bare shoulders on a beauty shoot, or heck, even just to have fun with on set with a portrait client. It's great to have these things that inspire you to hand. And if you're just starting out, it's a fantastic way to start building your portfolio even if you don't have any stylists in your network yet.

I've picked up a number of gorgeous things over the years that have really helped 'make' my work. I mean, I picked up this skirt in the Topshop sale for £3 and I knew I had to shoot it, just look at that texture! This velvet dress is actually my sisters that she picked up in a charity shop for <£10. And this image, styled by the amazing Chloe from fashionmakesmepoor.blogspot.co.uk, shows the gold Italian silk bustier I found in a charity shop (!) and some gold tulle from a fabric shop.

So back to the body suit (I wasn't kidding; I'm in love)I've pulled together a wee mood board for a shoot based around it below.


                                   Source (Davide Baldo)                              Source (Dolce & Gabbana) 



                                 Source (Pat McGrath for D&G AW14)                        Source (Alexander McQueen Fall 2016)




Who knew I would find such strong inspiration today from just browsing the 'New In' section on topshop.com!

Do you find that shopping ever inspires you? Have you ever based a shoot around one piece you just fell in love with/had a vision for? Please let me know in the comments so I know I'm not alone in this!

Have a great weekend!

With love,
Rachael♡

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

500px Feed

Say hello