SHOOTING IN TINY SPACES ♡

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

People are often surprised when I tell them that a lot of my tests are shot in my teeny tiny living room.

Don't get me wrong, I've been shooting from here for a year and a half or so in various forms and using various set ups; sometimes they didn't work, sometimes there simply isn't enough room but it's definitely manageable!

I think it can be so easy as a photographer to say that we can't create studio work in our spare time. We don't have a spare room to set up a studio in, we don't have the space for a make up artist to set up, we don't have runner rails to sort out wardrobe options... But just make what you have work for you.

If you like natural light, set up a background by a good window. Heck if you don't have a background drape some fabric. Just please don't do what I did when I was 17 and tape it to the walls/roof! Sorry Mum.

If you like studio light, great, clear a space! If you know me well enough to have heard my enthusiastic light ramblings you'll know I like soft natural looking light that's dewy and glowy and lovely.

For a long time I thought this was completely impossible in my tiny space. I didn't think I could get enough distance to get the diffusion I wanted, I didn't have tall enough ceilings for V flats, I just didn't have enough room; my living room is literally the width of a backdrop stand for goodness sake.

But after trying, and finding a knack to piling my sofas on top of each other(!), I've found a way to make the space work for me and how I like to shoot. It's not perfect but it does the job!

Usually, I shoot with my lights bouncing off the walls, usually in front of the subject creating a huge light source or at either side in front of the subject making it all feathered and highlighty; the white walls at either side create a perfect white tunnel bouncing the light around.

For my most recent shoot I decided to try out a black V flat tunnel instead!




Yeah it was a bit tight, and yes I had to chop off quite a bit to make the V flat's short enough and okay so the V flat on the right is leaning against the table for the make up/etc but hey, needs must, and it works!

I am just smitten with the results.


Images of the incredible Georgina Castle ; make up by Zoë Louise

If you're interested in the textured backdrop I made a post about it here!

I think black V Flat tunnels may just be my new favourite thing. Is that sad or what!

How do you guys get around shooting in small spaces? What is your favourite tips & tricks?
I'd love to see your set ups!

With love,
Rachael ♡

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

500px Feed

Say hello